Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Raise Your Glass

Congratulations and thanks are in order.
 

Today I received my first viewer from across the ocean, thank you visitor from Malaysia! It was a good excuse to see where Malaysia was and learn a little about it, very interesting.
 

Speaking of geography, a few weeks ago for fun I decided to see, just for kicks, if I was stuck in Japan and needed to get back home to the states, how I would do that. For this I turned to Google maps.
 

From destination, I put Japan. To destination, I put USA. Then enter.
 

After many steps navigating through Japan, I only assume this because I can't read Japanese symbols, I came to step number 27:

27. Kayak across the Pacific Ocean for 2,756 miles




Okay, so as you may have already noticed, I tend to over-analyze everything, but several things came to mind.


1. Has anyone ever taken these directions seriously?


2. How do they know it takes 35 days to kayak across the Pacific? Is there some guy at Google who gets paid to do these things?


3. Why not jet ski, swim, or sail across? Is it less conspicuous to enter the states in a kayak?

4. How do you  go to the bathroom when you're stuck in a kayak for that long? Wouldn't you fall over if you tried to "go" over the side?


Apparently when you arrive in Hawaii, you are supposed to go through the island and continue kayaking to the mainland. Just make sure your kayak is dry and your transportation can accommodate your kayak.


All kidding aside, I'd like to thank my friend Shane for pointing this out, good stuff.


Google also sports the "Google Street View" function. I'm sure you all have heard the controversy surrounding it. Basically for those who are not familiar with Google Maps, they took street view pictures, some of them taking people off guard.


If you search the internet you are sure to find some of these images, but be warned some are inappropriate. One that comes to mind is a guy peeing in public by an overpass. Gross and funny in my opinion.


I think Google Street View is a lot of things. It is an amazing piece of technology and helpful in navigating people to places that are otherwise difficult to get to. 


On the other hand it creeps me out. What if I'm walking down the street and I itch my nose, but it looks like I'm picking my nose?


Pretty soon Google will be able to see inside your homes and you can see yourself on the computer or sitting on the toilet. This is one case I do not wish that technology would advance. 


Just be warned, if you see this car coming down your street, hide!






That's it for now. Again, thank you for visiting and please follow my blog by clicking the follow button on the right side of the page!

1 comment:

  1. I bet a man wouldn't have too much trouble "go-ing" off the side. F-ers.

    ReplyDelete