Friday, November 12, 2010

Expect the Unexpected

When it rains it pours. Life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Make the best with what you got.


I'm pretty sure you get the idea here, but first let me ask you:


Are you a member of the human race? Have you ever had a bad day, week, month? Well take a look at one of the "interesting" things that have happened to me recently:






1. Hair cutting accident


I have been cutting my own hair for about 5 years now. I have also never had any problems and have been satisfied with the results. Going back to two weeks ago, I decided it was time to cut my hair. I took out the hair trimmer and affixed the number 3 attachment to the blade and trimmed away.


After I was done, I noticed I missed a few hairs. I picked up the trimmer and unbeknown to me, the attachment was not on the blade. I run it straight over the top of my head and shaved a bald spot. Cue my wife to walk in at that very moment. I was simultaneously horrified and embarrassed, she was laughing hysterically. After several minutes of saying,"Oh shi*," I decided I had no choice but to shave the rest of my hair. At this point I wasn't completely bald, however my hair couldn't have been longer than a 1/4 inch.


I knew it was my fault for not paying attention to the shaver, but I never had a problem with it before and with all things including people, they have problems further in age. I was convinced my shaver was out to get me. Was it because I had not oiled the blade in a while?


I stared in the mirror for minutes, just trying to convince myself that it didn't look that bad, but I couldn't get used to it. My wife chimes in that I should wear a long white shirt, baggy shorts and pulled up white socks, like I could pull off being a cholo, ha! I laughed, I mean it was pretty funny, the situation I mean.


Then I thought, "What are my coworkers going to think?" I started coming up with responses to questions raised about my hair, or lack of.


1. I have joined the army.
2. I donated my hair.
3. I am dying. (Definitely wouldn't use that one)
4. Lost a bet
5. The truth


Of course I chose the easiest of those, the truth. I figured it was embarrassing, but also a funny story. It takes more effort to lie and it just plain feels bad, so there you go.


Travelers of the internet, I leave you with this. If you cut your own hair, watch your utensils. They might be having a bad day.


Ian

1 comment: