Friday, May 6, 2011

Dare to Dream

It's good to see you again! Wait, have you been sleeping well? You look kind of tired, with the bags under your eyes and all. Oh look there you go, I saw a yawn. No it's okay, just relax, I'll do all the talking. Go ahead and rest your eyes a bit.


Just kidding, wake the hell up and tell me if you have seen this man in your dreams:



According to thisman.org, thousands of people have seen this guy in their dreams. Creepy eh? I don't ever recall him popping up in mine, but I would be interested to hear if you have personally.


To backtrack a bit, I decided to write about dreams because I was annoyed by the fact that I couldn't fight my brain to stay awake the other day.


Don't you hate when you've had a long day/week and you come home exhausted and decide to relax for a few minutes on the couch, but start to fall asleep? However the worst part is when you surrender to the exhaustion and lay down in bed, only to be wide awake and still exhausted.


I bet you finally get desperate and try some stupid sleep remedies to help you along. 






Those are supposed to be sheep by the way.


So after trying all of those methods, you start to drift off to sleep. You close your eyes and see:





Wtf are those? The only way I could describe them is glowing donuts, well because I love donuts and hate scaring myself. I need to invent real glowing donuts, that would be deliciously cool.

How about the times you are fighting sleep? I lay there in bed, pitting my brain against my eyes, keeping my eyelids open by sheer will and ignorance. Little did I know that they were both working against me.  I stare up at the ceiling, watching the ceiling fan spin around and around, and all of a sudden, it's gradually getting darker. As soon as I realize this, I startle myself and my surroundings go back to their normal level of brightness. Then after a few minutes it starts happening again, but this time you are too tired to care or even realize that it's getting darker because your eyelids are closing ever so slowly. Then you wake up the next morning, not able to remember when you lost the battle the night before.


Speaking of remembering, did you know that five minutes after the end of the dream, half the content is forgotten and after ten minutes, 90% is lost? Well for some reason this doesn't apply to me. Somehow I am able to remember most of my dreams pretty well and here are just a few:


Back to Baby


I dreamt about a baby's room down to every detail and color. I remember telling this to my mom when I was 5 and she said I had described my room when I was 1 year old. I even saw an old picture and saw that it was very close to the dream, even weirder was that in my dream it was from my perspective of lying in the crib. Was it really a dream or a memory?

Recurring nightmares 

Always had them as a kid. Usually being dropped off in unknown locations and being left behind, being hit by cars/run over, falling down from high altitudes. I can guess that all of the car related ones might have something to do with me falling out of a moving car when I was 4 years old. As my mom tells it, some guy hurried up and got me out of the road before I got hit by oncoming traffic.


Then I've had just a bunch of random ones, like flying over trees and lakes, playing pro basketball, playing guitar for a large stadium crowd with a popular band, finding a large sum of money, but after recounting, it is somehow a lot less money, and so on etc.


But really for me there are only three types of dreams - Great ones that I wake up at the best part, mediocre ones that either make no sense or nothing significant is going on, and the ones that are uncomfortable, sickening, or horrifying.

Then there's sleepwalking.


Like the time I walked all the way downstairs and peed on the kitchen wall and woke up back in bed. How is that possible? Read some other sleepwalking stories and among them, this is actually common! I especially like the one where the kid peed in the refrigerator, hilarious.

Other people's sleep walking stories include eating sticks of butter, sitting in a dark corner trying to "fix" a broken alarm clock, feeling the wall for "secret" bathroom, standing on a dresser to get away from the baby t-rexes, getting ready for a trip and end up sleeping under the bed naked, holding a briefcase.





Lastly, I thought I would leave you with some random dream facts:

We spend about a third of our life sleeping or about 6 years.

Everyone dreams, even blind people. They can even dream in color.

Men tend to dream more about other men, while women dream equally about men and women.

If you are snoring, then you cannot be dreaming.

According to a research study, the most common setting for dreams is your own house.

The original meaning of the word "nightmare" was a female spirit who besets people at night while they sleep.


Thanks again for coming back to read my words of misguided wisdom. At least with you here I won't have to plug in my Justin Bieber night light.


Sweet dreams.



4 comments:

  1. Dreams about flying over trees and lakes mean you are doing astral projection. You can get the same effect from nitrous oxide - like at the dentist.

    Dreams about cars or looking for something you can't find are about things in your life being out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that makes sense for the car dreams then, pretty much sums up my whole childhood lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I don't snore. Because I have dreams almost every night yet my sister and mother keep saying that I snore every night. So that means I don't snore HALLELUJAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The question is iKonga would be, "When are you actually dreaming?" Your dreams usually only last an hour or two during your REM sleep, so it is very possible the rest of the night while not dreaming, you are in fact snoring. However, your sis and mom don't have to know ;)

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete