Friday, December 3, 2010

If you change one little thing....

I'll tell you something about myself, as I have told many people I have met over the years, is the fact that I can't control the obscurity of my thoughts and the frequency of them happening.


 Most often these thoughts are at complete random like, "Why did the sky have to be blue? Would things be different if it was red? Would we be hungrier if it were? If mushrooms were red, like in Mario Brothers, would I be less apprehensive in eating them, still knowing they grew out of poo?"




Just a side note - I learned that the color red stimulates hunger, think about that the next time you visit restaurants or are browsing through food products at the grocery store and see the vast usage of red in branding labels.


Anyhow, I was thinking about the holidays and how differently they could be celebrated if we changed minor details about them. For example:

On thanksgiving, what if we all chose to cook and stuff emus instead of turkeys? We would definitely have a need for bigger ovens and who knows what kind of eating that would encourage. Also, Stove Top would sell a hell of a lot more stuffing.



How about Christmas? I would imaging it to be a feat to chop down a palm tree and trying to fit it in the house or worse, an apartment. Or being a desert native, decorating a saguaro cactus would be interesting. Although, I've seen some people accomplish some strands of lights on outside cactus, I wouldn't want to stumble through the living room at night, trip on a dog toy, and fall on the Christmas cactus. The kids would be upset, but the wife would be even more thrilled about pulling thorns out of daddy's bum.

There would be one advantage of trading in the Christmas stockings for mittens, less room for candy, less cases of juvenile diabetes. I should talk though, seeing as I just put together a peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwich.  

In summary, this is just a tiny sneak peek into the randomness of my thoughts. I remember often my favorite teacher encouraging my thinking by telling me to think like his favorite philosopher, Thomas Jefferson. He said that I should always ask, "Why?," and to always think about all the possibilities. This is how we change for the better by inventing, discovering, and innovating. 

Thanks again if you made it this far into my post and take care of yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment